Hello and welcome. My name is Denise Rushing and I am passionate about transforming human structures and systems for a better world. I write about social and spiritual leadership, permaculture, storytelling and living the New Story. If you want to bring about community and cultural change, you have come to the right place.
"The Dream Drives the Action" -- Thomas Berry
Thursday, January 26, 2017
Get inspired. Stay inspired. #Resist
Here's the thing--we need to BE STRATEGIC with our energies because overwhelm and cynicism can lead to despair, and indeed this is the objective of the rapid-fire actions coming our way. Shock and awe.
First, recognize that we are in a marathon, not a sprint and we need to develop our personal capacities to act quickly, strategically and with passion & force.
Here is what I am doing personally so I can go the long haul:
(1) Extreme self-care. This means maintaining a sense of humor, tending to mental health and my physical, spiritual, emotional energies. (Sometimes I need to go on a media diet and get offline to regroup);Connecting with others rather than staying isolated--including marching for strength, solidarity and community;
(2) Focus on my work to make a difference in one main thing--in my case climate change solutions including solar energy, soil, & community resilience;
(3) Take regular political action on items I care about--the most effective of these is to CALL elected officials on the phone a couple of times a week to encourage, support or weigh in; Indivisible has a good weekly action list for this.
(4) Reach out. Offer support and encouragement to those whose #resist work inspires me;
(5) Kindness--Conduct random (ideally anonymous) acts of kindness;
(6) Deliver my message. My message is this:
Get inspired. Do what you need to do to stay inspired. Act from deep LOVE. You are on the right side of history. Spring is coming.